My Book of Sounds

Hello again! This week I have been working on My Book of Sounds. My friend and I were talking about things that we would like for next year and came up with this great idea. Don't you love collaborating!!!! We have been using the Spalding Phonics program in our classes.  We have really enjoyed aspects of it but now continue but with our own twist.  I guess you could call this our own twist.  My Book of Sounds has a column for each sound.  For example if it is o there will be a three columns with an example word at the top for /o/, o, /oo/ and then at the bottom it has a blank for a picture of your choosing. Or in the example provided (see below) /th/ in thin and /th/ in this  If that phonogram has a hint or a special word that we use the hint is below the phonogram on the page (see below the ee).

Here is an index of what the book includes:





 I am very excited to implement this for next year.  We have been using a book similar to this but it focused on different aspect of the word.  I liked the idea that my students could see the sound standing alone, applying in words, using all of the sounds that it makes, AND sketching a picture that makes since to their brain. Oh I didn't mention the poster that we do each day as well. I am providing it  FREE! It is a quick 20 second routine that we do daily.  I have it on a large poster and we practice each sound that goes with each letter.  We do other activities as well but this is part of our daily routine and thought that you may like it as well. This is the first grade version, the extended version is provided in the packet.




 As you can tell I am very excited! Enjoy and happy teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment